Community Action Program (CAP)
The Community Action Program (CAP) is a partnership between Maricopa County, El Mirage and Surprise that provides support services that foster self-sufficiency and stability during unexpected financial crises by providing limited temporary assistance with utility and eviction prevention for qualifying El Mirage and Surprise residents.
Residents seeking assistance will need to schedule an appointment and complete an application with a Resource Center staff member. The following information is required to complete the application:
- Social Security cards for all household members
- Documentation of U.S. Citizenship (birth certificate) or lawful residency of application
- Documentation of household income received in the last 30 days prior to and including the appointment date for all family members
- Latest utility bills for gas and electrical usage of residence including shut off or disconnect notices
- Documentation of rent or mortgage payment including delinquency, eviction or foreclosure notices
Appointments are required for program consideration. Individuals who need an appointment should call on Mondays at 8 a.m. and leave a message that includes the following:
- Address, including city and zip code
- If there are children in the home
- If there is someone with a disability living in the home
- Type of assistance requested
- Contact information
Program staff will respond to messages within 48 business hours, depending on the number of requests. Weekly appointments are limited and assistance is based on available funding.
Call and leave a message to schedule your appointment at 623.222.HOPE(4673).
Online Web Resources
- Social Service Referrals: Listing includes food programs; emergency/transitional housing; immunizations; medical/dental; attorney referral; domestic violence; education/counseling/day facilities; eldervention, HIV/AIDS; pregnancy, parenting & adoption; rental/utilities assistance; substance abuse; and wheelchairs: www.surpriseaz.gov/762/Social-Services-Referrals